Deer Park was founded in 1892 by Simeon H. West, a farmer, retired legislator, and much-traveled adventurer from Illinois. He named the town for the large number of deer that roamed the Gulf plains. A railroad station opened later that year and a post office followed in 1893.
The subdivision was established in 1893 and was the site of a Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway station by about 1894. A Deer Park post office was established in 1893, discontinued in 1919, and reestablished in 1930. In 1896, the community, with a population of forty, had a hotel, a general store, and three resident carpenters. By 1922 Deer Park had dwindled down to almost nothing with four houses, one little schoolhouse, and an old hotel with a few scattered shacks along the railroad right-of-way. 1928 brought in Shell Oil Company breaking ground on a new refinery. In the 1930s, an independent school district was established. By 1940, the population had grown to 100. By 1946, however, the area began to flourish as Deer Park became the site of refineries and toluene plants for the production of TNT.
The citizens of Deer Park voted to incorporate on December 12, 1948, and a few weeks later Earl E. Dunn became the first mayor. Because of the 1948 incorporation, Houston did not incorporate Deer Park's territory into its city limits. The first city council meeting was held on February 7, 1949. The population had grown to 700 by 1948, to 5,000 by 1960 with a fire station, city hall, playground parks and an independent city water supply. A public library was begun in 1962. Population was 12,773 in 1970, and 28,520 in 2000. This growth has been fueled by the growth of the petrochemical industry as well as the growth of business along the Houston Ship Channel. Deer Park has a school district with 14 campuses, a city library, community theater, municipal court building, three fire stations, numerous city parks and recreational facilities, state-of-the-art water and sewer processing facilities, a post office, several hotels, 14 major industries as well as several light industrial companies. Today, Deer Park has approximately 9,000 homes and more than 30,000 residents.
It is near the site of the Battle of San Jacinto, where, on April 21, 1836, Texas won its independence from Mexico. Because the initial surrender treaty after the battle was signed in Dr. George Moffitt Patrick's cabin, Deer Park bills itself as the "Birthplace of Texas". The original cabin was located on Buffalo Bayou where Rohm and Haas now has a chemical plant in Deer Park. A replica of Dr. Patrick's cabin is in front of the Theatre/Courts Building on Center Street.
- For Sale+2 more
- More Filters
- Save Search
377 Properties in Deer Park
For Rent|1,679 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.2244 acres|#3474304
For Sale|1,390 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.2049 acres|#88326699
For Sale|2,149 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.1596 acres|#52873662
For Rent|2,540 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.1587 acres|#31873814
For Sale|1,800 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.1653 acres|#86997087
Pending|1,310 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.1687 acres|#66298949
For Sale|1,408 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.192 acres|#26231111
For Rent|1,800 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.1641 acres|#54150581
For Sale|1,528 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.2135 acres|#48572124
For Sale|2,840 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.1751 acres|#68485885
For Sale|1,028 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.1612 acres|#45522651
For Sale|1,116 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.1148 acres|#21395729
For Sale|1,888 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.1874 acres|#78807222
For Sale|1,782 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.1791 acres|#80999949
For Sale|1,534 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.1377 acres|#28852688
For Rent|3,892 sqft|4 beds|3.5 baths|0.1791 acres|#61406968
Pending|2,892 sqft|5 beds|2 baths|0.1717 acres|#25291004
For Sale|2,542 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.1597 acres|#37165293
For Sale|2,060 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.225 acres|#66568032
For Sale|1,496 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.1281 acres|#6862941
For Sale|2,518 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|2.5455 acres|#98376452
For Sale|1,812 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.1715 acres|#79756576
For Sale|1,460 sqft|3 beds|1.5 baths|0.1612 acres|#68043253